The history of VNA began in 1898 with the founding of Morristown's Female Charitable Society. Recognizing a need for home nursing care in the town and surrounding rural communities, the Society, an organization of wealthy and influential women, hired Morris County's first visiting nurse, Anna B. Hillock.
By the 1920s, an independent Visiting Nurse Association emerged from the Society's origins and began to grow rapidly. A new Ford Touring Car was purchased to transport nurses who had formerly used bicycles and horses to visit patients. Maternal health clinics and a mandatory school nursing program were implemented through VNA support to combat infant mortality and tuberculosis, two major health concerns of the time.
To better house the organization's expanding services and staff, a new headquarters was established in 1952 at 38 Elm Street in Morristown. VNA continued to meet community health care needs head-on by adding physical, occupational, and speech therapy services and a certified home health aide program in the 1970s. At the turn of the century, VNA Hospice was established, offering compassionate end-of-life support for patients and their families.
After celebrating 110 years of service, VNA ushered in a new era of innovation and growth by moving the organization's headquarters to 175 South Street in Morristown. The years that followed saw the introduction of Zone Management protocols that better manage serious, chronic health conditions, the implementation of a new electronic medical records program, HealthWyse, and the addition of a Telehealth Program.
The organization's distinguished history of caring continues to this day. Combining the compassion and dedication of our first nurse with innovative home care solutions, VNA is able to meet the ever changing health care needs of our community's homebound residents.
VNA was established by generous community members who used their resources to help those in need. To honor VNA's legacy and invest in our future, consider making a gift today.